Saturday, April 10, 2010

getting to Tokyo - take 2

Ohayoo gozaimasu (good morning) and it is truly morning -- itis about 3:30 am here and I am awake.  Sorry about the short post last night but....  Hopefully after about 5 hours sleep I can do better.

The trip out of LA
The morning started as any other right before a BIG trip - hectic - trying to make sure everything was done and all the last minute things were packed. And of course making sure that Rascal had NOT found his way into the luggage!  Got up at 5 and the limo picked me up at 9. 

Got to LAX at about 9:45 and got through checkin - 2  bags both under 50 lbs but found out later Business class has a 70 lb weight limit (hmm, room to buy "stuff"?).  The plane did not leave until 1:10pm but you know me, I would rather be sitting in the airport for hours rather than run the risk of being late or missing my plane -  especially this one!  Met up with my co-worker Karen and we hung out until it was at last time to board and be on our way.

I wish I could say the reason the picture is so shaky is because I was so excited, but alas it is just I am a lousy photographer.

Got on the plane -  row 4 - and almost before we were seated we were offered champagne, which of course we accepted.



The first thing we noticed, besides the champagne, was the seats and the LEG ROOM!  Even stretching my leg all the way out I couldn't touch the seat in front of me!

The seats had a hard back and the actual seat went back and forth within it.  They were big and had buttons to control everything - footrest, lumbar (with or without masage!, etc.)  They even laid almost completely flat.  We had a blast playing with all the buttons and laughing all the time.  Obviously we were "coach people" infiltrating the business class world!

The next thing I noticed was there was a little travel bag with "stuff" in it - toiletries (face cream, toothbrush & paste, lip balm & breath mints -- wish I had seen the last 2 before just now! could've used them I am sure.  Oh well will know for the trip home!), socks, eyeshades, tissues, earplugs and a pen.  Then there was the pillow (full sized) and the blanket - actually a quilt! - and slippers.

So now I have finished oowing and aahing about the surroundings and the flight attendant hands out the headsets - full ear and pretty much noise cancelling... sweet! 

Right after takeoff, I had 3 (yes 3 - it was going to be a long flight) Bailey's.  Then it didn't seem too much after that that we were given mixed nuts in a little bowl AND a little later they came around and asked if you wanted a refill!

Oh I forgot to mention the menu - WOW.  You had a choice of like 6 main courses in the western meal and there was also a Japanese meal. 

Before I blinked (almost) they were coming around with hot towels and tablecloths - yes real cloth!- and dinner started (started being the operative word here!)

The First course  was gravlax (?? tasted like raw salmon to me and that is what it is!), seaweed salad, grilled artichokes, roasted tomato; a mixed green salad  with roasted beets, snow peas, blue cheese and pecans; and Thai chicken and coconut soup.  The food was on plates (no plastic wrap to be seen anywhere) and there was real silverware!  (Oh I am such a coach person aren't I?)   The portions were not huge but they were sufficient.  Then came the Main course.   I had the crab cakes with lemon aoili and baked spagetti squash and leeks with roasted red pepper.  It was very good but I was so full, I could only eat one of the crab cakes.  And yes, I did eat with chopsticks (brought my own) - except for the soup of course!  Karen had the beef tenderloin and shrimp scampi and said the beef was overcooked and the shrimp was rubbery.  Then about 10 minutes or so after everyone finished the main course it was dessert - I had the cheesecake (plain) but could have had ice cream sundae and fruit also.  WOW for those of us who are food obsessed this was amazing.  And to think it was only about 4pm California time!

After eating I played for a bit with the video controls for my personal screen.  Pretty impressive selection of movies.  Everything from big hits - Avatar & The Blind Side -- to documentaries and there were a few Japanese movies as well.  Unfortunately my audio went out a bit later.  Lost the voice track - could hear the music but no voices and I am just not that good of a lipreader! 

Also unlike what it said on the website, the seats did NOT actually have an AC power outlet.  Still a small price to pay.

After dinner they turned the lights down - we had 2 personal lights at our seat (the "normal" overhead and an adjustable  light that was attached to the seat) - and they put out bottles of water as well as sunchips, candy, banannas and apples.

I worked on my writing for a bit but since was on battery, oh well.  Also found myself getting sleepy so took a nap -  Ah the method to their madness, feed them and they will be too sleepy to ask us for more stuff!  Tried watching a movie but like I said my sound went out so did a little reading.

But no matter how comfy the seats are, after about 8 or 9 hours (nevermind almost 12) they lose that edge. And after a while my back started to cramp up but with these seats not only was I able to lie almost completely flat but on my side!  Now that is something you most definitely can NOT do in coach!

Then it was feeding time again!  At around 11pm California (I was still on US time then) they came around asking if you wanted the cold plate or the eggs.  I opted for the eggs - some sort of muffin/scrambled egg/cheese/spinach thing along with a bagel and a fruit bowl (melon, grapefruit & pineapple).

BTW, the bathroom in business is the same as that in coach - tiny!

At last we were on our final descent and I got my first look at Japan from the air.  Unfortunately from that view point it didn't look much different than anywhere else.

Arrival in Tokyo

We landed on time (4:45 pm Saturday Tokyo time = 12:45 am Saturday Ca time -- 16 hour difference) and headed for Immigration to have our fingerprints and pictures taken and make our declarations.  We got there with only a bit of a line but not too long later the line was massive!   Got through that in about 20-30 minutes then got our luggage and hit customs.  No line at customs and the lady just asked if we had anything to declare and when we said no we were done.

Next was to find our bus.  Amzaingly it was right outside the door we were near.  However we had to go back inside and buy the proper ticket.  Again not very difficult.  The ticket was 2,700 yen (about $29) which I paid for on the Business card (love buisness trips) - apparently you can use plastic for almost everything here.  I knew I was going to like Japan.

We went outside to the #2 bus stop and the gentleman directed us to stand in a specific line.  Apparently several different buses stop there and he kep everyone in the proper line.  We had about a 30 minute wait for the bus -- Yes, I know that was one of my big worries that we wouldn't make it! -- and then about an hour ride to the hotel. 

On the ride over I saw several lighted ferris wheels and wondered if one of them is Kagome's (my anime friends will get that reference, the rest of you... well you need to start watching anime!)  The picture (sorry taken from a distance and on my phone)  is very close to our hotel. 

The hotel is as grand as the pictures on the website!  The staff is in uniforms - some with hats and tails others just in short jacketed suits.  Karen and I are neighbors on the 25th floor.  And the room is very nice -- very similar to most Western hotel rooms, but that is to be expected since it is a "westernized" hotel.  The bathroom is pretty big and the tub is great.  Oh and the best thing - and any of you who have lived in the cold will appreciate this -- the toilet seat is heated!
There is an electric teapot in the room and there are teabags and instant coffee (where is Haruhi when I need her -- sorry another anime reference!)

The view from the room is pretty spectacular too! Apparently we are on the Bay side (not the airport side)

We went out and walked around a bit.  Found the train station and yes it is pretty much right outside the hotel.  Later today we are planning on figuring out how to buy tickets from the machine and then take a trial run out to the office so we know what we are doing come Monday morning.


BTW Rhonda, most of the cookies made it here - I am sitting eating them with my green tea.

Also the websites like Google and this one come up in Japanese (the headers and stuff) -- good thing I know my way around my favorite websites!  And TV is in Japanese... saw Karen had it on last night... amazingly I havent even turned it on yet.
Well that is about it for now. 

dot

No comments:

Post a Comment